Tuesday, September 10, 2013

DITL: Home Edition

love reading other people's "Day in the Life" posts, so I thought I would do one of my own. Well, actually two. I'm going to do one this week and another one next week when I'm working. Just a fun way to document my life. Sometimes I think I have a busy life and then I read other people's posts about working and taking care of kids and cooking organic food from scratch, etc. I don't how they do it all. But anyway, here it goes. Monday: Day 1 off...

6:40 am: Set my alarm for 7 this morning, but am wide awake. Sleeping in is wonderful! Try to figure out if I should get up or wait on my alarm. Lie in bed for a while. Finally get up at 6:52. Bathroom, brush teeth, pull out the scale to weigh and remember that I still need to replace the batteries. Add that to my ongoing grocery list. Make bed.

7 am: Go downstairs. Make coffee and breakfast. And yes, I usually always make a real breakfast. Go big or go home. Add coffee to the shopping list. Head back upstairs to my favorite comfortable chair and spend some sweet time with Jesus.

8 am: Turn on the computer. Check email. Organize the to-do list. FYI my Excel spreadsheet is currently divided into a weekly to-do list (for 3 weeks at a time), a daily list (broken up in 30 minute intervals), a budget breakdown, and a weekly menu. #neurotic

8:45 am: Time to rock the Kroc! Yep, I said it. Power class. I mentioned yesterday that I haven't been to the gym in a while, so this was a hard one. I'm going to be feeling it tomorrow. Decided to stay for Zumba because, well, I can. Days off are great!
* Update: Yes, I am sore. Biceps and hamstrings. She even warned us that it was a hard bicep track so I went lighter than usual...

11 am: Class is over. See the dad of a friend from high school that I probably haven't seen in over 10 years. Stopped and talked for a while. Caught up on what families are doing these days.  

11:20 am: Home from the gym. Make lunch. Which includes kale chips, because they are delicious! Read a few blogs. Buy my #teamjilly shirt! I've already started a blog about Jeanett that will go up sometime next week I think, but she is great!

12:15 pm: Shower. Decide it feels like a lazy day aka wearing my hair curly.

12:45 pm: Check on my patients. I don't do this everyday when I'm off. Promise! But there were some that were supposed to be going home that I wanted to make sure everything was okay and they actually got out.

1 pm: Throw clothes in the washing machine. Clean out the refrigerator. Now that's it's clean I can do some menu planning and see what else to add to the grocery list. I make 2 lists. First, as I think of things that I need I add them to an ongoing grocery list. Then I reorganize that list by where things are located in the store. #neurotic Start the dishwasher and hand wash what's left in the sink, because dishes in the sink- pet peeve!

2 pm: Errand time! Drop off my clothes at the dry cleaners. This always makes me feel like an adult. Run by the post office to drop off some letters and buy some stamps. Have to be an adult again and get the tags renewed on my car. Being an adult is expensive! Go to the Kroger at Poplar Plaza to get gas. Then leave and drive to the Krosher for groceries. Because it's my favorite. Oh yeah and I'm #neurotic. Go grocery shopping. Only see one person that I know, so not too much small talk. I don't think I've ever made it through the store without seeing anyone that I know. Memphis is a small town!

3:45 pm: Made it home. Pull out the snack-sized Ziploc bags. Sort groceries into single servings per bag. It just makes things easier to grab for snacks or when trying to pack my lunch for work quickly. It reduces overeating and makes frozen food easy to thaw for a meal. Also, #neurotic. Once everything is all organized and sorted, I put away all the groceries.

4 pm: Switch clothes over to the dryer. Notice that the dishwasher is finished. I have to unload it. I blame it on my family. "Advancement" has been burned into my mind. It's like that clean light taunts me. I put away all the dishes and everything can continue as planned...

4:30 pm: Replace batteries in the scale. Contemplate weighing but it would be off the normal schedule so I don't. Finish reading through blogs.

5 pm: Made an spontaneous decision last week to go to the beach in October. My family usually goes in June every year but we didn't this year because my cousin had her baby, so I have been itching for a trip down to 30A. Start looking up places to stay. Sandy white beaches and emerald waters. So many wonderful memories. Makes me nostalgic. Can't wait to get back. Even if it's only for a couple days.

5:30 pm: Naptime! Yeah, being off can be really tiring. Ha!

6:15 pm: Review the to-do list. Cross things off that have been done already. Move some things over to other days that aren't going to get done today. Respond to some emails that I got last week while I was working and did nothing about because a. sometimes things get pushed back when I'm working and b. did I mention I was doing well just to get out of bed last week? Responding to emails wasn't going to happen.

7 pm: Usually I have Bible study on Monday nights, but people had scheduling conflicts this week so we moved it to Sunday night instead. That means that my night is totally free for dinner and a movie. Sounds really romantic, especially when you consider the fact that it was dinner for one and a movie all by myself. "All by myself. Don't wanna be all by myself anymore..." You were singing it in your head anyway, right?

9:45 pm: Start writing this blog and then write and publish the post for today. Start some blogs for a couple ideas that I have for next week. Then journal about things that don't make the cut for public viewing.

10:30 pm: Brush teeth. Lay out clothes for tomorrow. Set my sleep cycle alarm and head to bed.
* Update: Woke up 4 times through the night I think. 3 times to go to the bathroom, and once just because. Yes, I have a pea-sized bladder. 

* Update: Reread this post and realized that I essentially had no contact with people all day. I did talk to my roommate for a few minutes at one point but otherwise, this is totally accurate. What can I say? I'm an introvert in all sense of the word. And after working 7 days straight, sometimes I just need a day to recover and detox all alone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment