Saturday, May 23, 2015

Zoom Through the Zoo

I posted a picture of Zoom through the Zoo yesterday, so I thought I would share a little more about it. I'm trying to actually run more regularly and build up some mileage and actually train. I decided that I needed to sign up for some more races. Give me some motivation.

Then my roommate, who doesn't run, said that she wanted to do a 5K or something so she had something to look forward to. I jumped on the opportunity and suggested Zoom through the Zoo. Which turned into us registering for the entire M-town series. The M-town series is a set of 4 races that are "quintessentially Memphis." They are run every other week and are all at night. Zoom through the Zoo was first and is a 4-miler. Next is the Harbortown 5K. I've talked about how much I love Harbortown. It reminds me of Seaside a little bit (minus the ocean). I've never done the race before but I've heard it's a fun one. Then is the Gibson Guitar 5K which is downtown and a nod to Memphis's music tradition. And lastly is the Stars and Stripes 5K- a great way to kick off 4th of July weekend!

Zoom through the Zoo is one of my favorites though. Because, you know, animals. The race starts outside the zoo and runs through Overton Park and then circles back through the zoo. The giraffes weren't out, but I did get to see the elephants- and pretty much all of the African Veldt. Then after the race, there was live music and free beer and barbecue!

It was unseasonably cold though. It was in the mid-50s all day, which was perfect running weather, but made it a little chilly afterwards when you're trying to hold a cold beer. Otherwise, a great race! Bring on the next one!


No comments:

Post a Comment