Thursday, July 2, 2015

July

Welcome to July!

The new interns started yesterday so avoid hospitals at all costs. If you see someone walking around the hospital in a white coat looking lost, don't worry, he's probably really a doctor.

Yesterday was actually smoother than I thought it would go. We had 240 straight hours of IOC (Internist on call) going into July 1 so I was worried our census would be crazy, but it was a lot better than I thought which was nice. I think it is going to be a good month.

I did get a call from the new vascular intern about a patient we are both taking care of. He was so friendly and energetic. I didn't have the heart to tell him that Vascular Surgery his first month would steal his soul. The good news for him, the year will only get better!

Now for a little hospital humor... Have you seen this video? It's been going around on facebook recently and it's hilarious! We have weekly "Length of Stay" meetings with the CMO of the hospital and decreasing length of stay is a big push right now. But then there are readmissions... I could get on a whole soapbox about readmissions and how people need to take personal responsibility for their own health, but I won't. Short version: I can treat a patient and prescribe all the correct medications. I can even get the hospital and the social worker to pay for the patient's medications so they have them in their possession when they leave. But I can't go to their homes and watch them take their medicine everyday. And when they don't take their meds and end up back in the hospital, we don't get paid for that visit! So frustrating! But here is a little humor about it...


No comments:

Post a Comment