Thursday, April 19, 2012

Day 161: Anxiety

It all started on Tuesday Sunday. How it always starts. And I'm trying to be calm. I knew that I had to work Monday and that would keep me busy and honestly, I didn't think anything would come of it. There was no reason to be stressed over nothing.

Then Tuesday came and I was off work so naturally I was reading some blogs and gchatting with Megan when it came. And I'm glad I was. It allowed for immediate processing and her making me take deep breaths and not think crazy thoughts. And I have to say that I did surprisingly well! My sister came in town Tuesday night and we spent time with friends so my mind was elsewhere.

Wednesday I worked all day, went to dinner with friends, and then went back to spend time with family and friends. By the time I got home it was 11pm and I was exhausted! And I knew I had to wake up for growth group at 5:30. Which means I went straight to bed and didn't have time to think about anything.  

Last night my text conversation went something like this:
Her: I will be sending prayers in your direction! Anything you're hoping for? Or just strength and peace?
Me: I have no idea what to expect. Just pray for peace. That I'm not anxious about anything.
Her: I know what else that means! I'll be praying for some sleep tonight too! :)
So thankful for godly friendships!

Today I was praying as I was brushing my teeth (it was 4:30. my growth group should just be happy that my teeth got brushed) and God gave me Philippians 4:6-7 "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." And with that I had an overwhelming peace. I was able to go into it with no expectations. (But let's just say that Megan and I did not win a free trip to Disney!) It was great though. Just like old times. The good old times. Even though my mind was in a few places at once and I occasionally had to remind myself to focus on the words. Sorry! But this morning was one of those moments where there was no doubt that it God was working. There was no other explanation or reason. Left to my own devices, my mind would have been racing and my anxiety level off the charts. BUT GOD calmed my heart and my mind like only He can! He never ceases to amaze!

Search me, O God, and know my heart! Try me and know my thoughts! Psalm 139:23

**Update: After I posted this, I realized the timeline matched up perfectly with 2 different conversations. Choose to believe this post is about whichever one you want...


No comments:

Post a Comment