Saturday, April 14, 2012

Day 156: Are You Married?

Today was the opening day of wedding season. Today marked the first wedding for me of seven. In the next twelve weeks. A little ridiculous? Yes. But it is clear that love is in the air. And it's exciting to see friends proclaim their love and to celebrate with them.
And today only one person asked me when I was getting married. I laughed it off. But wanted to respond with, "Well let me just whip out my crystal ball and tell you." Well, technically I guess two people said something about it. If you count the friend that joked that I was next in line. I'm sorry, but if you're waiting for me to be next in line, you'll be waiting a very long time.

But the "Are you married?" question is one of the most frequently asked question. Probably second only to various forms of the question "What are you?" But asking if I'm married is a close second. I get asked at work all the time. By patients, other nurses, lab, physical therapy, etc. I should probably say that 99% of the time, this question is asked by older women just being curious and not by men trying to figure out my marital status.

And the question doesn't bother me. I mean, I do wear a ring on my left hand. It's the questions that follow it that make me crazy. "Well do you have a boyfriend?" Or my favorite: "But you're so pretty. Why aren't you married yet?" I want to say something along the lines of "You're right. What am I waiting on? Why don't I just propose to the next guy that walks by?"

I am well aware of the reasons why I'm not married yet. There is no need to push my insecurities. And yes, I want to get married. It is a definitely a desire of mine. But I am perfectly content to wait for God's timing and trust in His will. I just wish everyone else would be too.

3 comments:

  1. You're Persian! :) Amen to this post, sister!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ummm...I can't believe people ask either one of those questions. for real. I would snap. and I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jamie, Persian is still the best guess that I've gotten.

    Sara, I love you too. And I miss you. At least I know I'll get to see you at the wedding. But we need to catch up. You have a one-year-old!

    ReplyDelete