Thursday, January 29, 2015

Fitspo

Physical resolutions to lose weight and work out more always seem so superficial. And yet, I'm doing them anyway and they don't seem superficial at all. I think that I have hinted about it on the blog before, but I haven't really talked about it. I have an interesting relationship with food and weight. There's really no other way to put it. I'm a female in America. I struggle with body image. While I wouldn't say that I have an eating disorder, I have dealt with (and still do sometimes deal with) disordered thinking about food.

Because of that, physical goals are sometimes difficult. I want the focus to be on fitness and be the healthiest me that I can be. Yes, I would love to lose weight and yes, I have an "ideal number" in mind, but in the back of my mind I still hear an ex-boyfriend reminding me that it's not about a number. (I knew he was good for something. Ha!)

#1. So with all that in mind, my first resolution is to work out 4 times a week. It's manageable. It provides chances to be lazy or mess up. But it still gets me active and moving.

#2. Run 300 miles. I know people run so much more than that, but I am not at the point where I would consider myself a runner. Maybe by this time next year...? I was definitely not running consistently last year. Way more sporadic than I intended, but I ended up getting about 200 miles in so this year I'm aiming for 300. Also, I rejoined MRTC so there's some additional motivation.


#3. Train for and run a half marathon. What better way to ensure that I get those 300 miles in than to train for another half? And I was in the best shape when I was consistently running and training. I knew there was an ultimate goal. And it forced me to eat better. I didn't want to waste all that running just to eat badly AND I could tell in my runs when I had been eating well. I felt better and ran harder. So- two birds, one stone! I still haven't decided which half to do yet. I looked at the Rock n Roll series and thought about a destination race... San Diego, Seattle, and Chicago are all looking nice. But we'll see...


This is from May 2011. I want those muscles back. (Ha! Get it. I love puns!) I'm working on it though. Slowly, but surely...




No comments:

Post a Comment