Thursday, January 22, 2015

Mental Fortitude

Alright well we have now reached the nerdy portion of the resolutions. You know, as if having a list of resolutions broken into categories wasn't nerdy enough.

#1. Read 20 books. It's pretty self explanatory. Last year my goal was to read 12 books- 1 a month. I read 18 (3 of them within the 4 days I was off for Christmas) so this year I'm stretching it a little more and am going to try to read 20. I currently use the goodreads app on my phone. Or you can check it out online. It lets me keep up with the books that I've read, remembers all the books that I want to read, and gives suggestions for books I might like based on how I have rated previous books. Right now I have 51 books on my "Want to Read" bookshelf so I have a good starting point for this year.

Goodreads: Meet your next favorite book

#2. Attend a conference. Sometimes I feel like I go through the motions at work and treat my patients, but don't get to stretch myself. Don't have the time that I would like to do all the things that I want to do. So this year, I want to attend a conference and expand my knowledge base. (Also, it doesn't hurt that I can earn some CEU credits too.)

#3. Choose a research topic. A few months ago, I told someone that I wished that I could take a 3 month sabbatical from work so that I could do research. Yeah, I warned you that this would be nerdy. Here's another nerdy confession: I miss school sometimes. I read articles that relate to my patients but haven't made the time to just sit down and do research. I'm planning this slowly. Very slowly. But I want to at least choose a topic and maybe start from preliminary research.

Have you read any good books lately that you think I should check out? Any particular topic of interest that I should research?


No comments:

Post a Comment