Monday, October 26, 2015

30 x 30: Travel Overseas

It's Costa Rica week on the blog. I have tons of pictures so I am going to break up the trip into a couple different posts.

Our flight left on Saturday afternoon, which was actually really nice because after working all week I had to time to wake up and get things accomplished before going to the airport.

We had a couple hour layover in Houston so we hung out and grabbed some dinner before our flight.



My mom is a little crazy when it comes to flying, but it worked to our advantage this time when we got moved up to the exit row!



When we arrived in Costa Rica, we got our luggage and Mario was waiting for us with a sign. I really wish I had gotten a picture of this but it was all pretty rushed. My parents met Mario at a coffee plantation when they were here in June. He works as a tour guide and he was our driver for most of the trip. It was late when we arrived, so he picked us up and took us straight to our hotel in San Jose for the night.

The next morning, we woke up and enjoyed a delicious breakfast and cafe con leche on the lanai. Everything was so green here!



When Mario picked us up that morning, he drove us up the Pacific coast and we did some sight seeing.



Then we drove up the Tilaran and looked around the town and looked around.


Then it was time to stop for lunch. The food was delicious and the views were amazing! And of course I had to get a real coke. Because, sugar cane!


  


After lunch, and driving around some more (I think we stopped at the grocery store at this time so my dad could buy some rum...) Mario drove us to a hotel in Tilaran for the night. It was on Lake Arenal and the views were incredible!



Costa Rica isn't known for it's wine, but no worries we packed our own. Ha! My mom and I planned to each bring a bottle of wine so we could have some when we were in the mood. We had a glass on the front porch while overlooking the lake. Glorious!


The next morning, I woke up to the sounds of monkeys! It is way better than waking up to the sounds of birds. Oh yeah, and did I mention the views. I never want to leave this place. Ever!



Mario picked us up after breakfast and we drove to look at some properties. I don't know if I mentioned all that before, but my dad is thinking about moving to Costa Rica so the primary purpose of this trip was to look at some property and think about buying. So Mario took us to look at some places. The first place we looked at was just a lot to build on. It was on the top of the mountain and was beautiful!





Costa Rica uses a lot of wind power, so there were windmills everywhere. Love it!


The second place we looked at was a house. I didn't take a picture of the actual house, but the views were great (No surprise there!) It had a view of Lake Arenal and the volcano. So beautiful!


After looking at the properties, we headed to lunch. Today we went to an open air Peruvian restaurant. The food was great! It was the end of rainy season in Costa Rica so it rained pretty much every day- at least a little bit. When we were sitting in the restaurant, it started pouring down rain. We ended up staying a little longer and having more drinks while we waiting for the rain to stop. I got a pineapple daiquiri, because the pineapple was so fresh and delicious that I tried to eat (and drink) as much as I could.


My dad and mom got an authentic Peruvian beer. They loved it! My dad liked it so much that he asked if he could have the pilsner as a souvenir. They were more than happy to sell it to him for $5.


When the rain let up some, we made a run for it and Mario dropped us off at the next location- a resort. We stayed at the resort for the rest of the trip so Mario made plans to pick us up on Thursday morning and then made the 3-hour trip back home to San Jose.

No comments:

Post a Comment