Monday, June 8, 2015

My Response to Memphis

There has been an article floating around on the internet called 17 Things Nashvillians Will Never Understand about Memphis. Maybe you've seen it. I have had multiple friends post it on facebook.

First of all, let me say that Memphis is home. It is absolutely not perfect, but it's like family. You can complain all day about your own family, but when someone else does it- it's on! Memphians have been upset about the article- and rightfully so. I won't comment on all 17 points, but here are my thoughts...

3. You have "residents" who won't travel inside the I-240 loop.

I'll assume that someone from Nashville didn't write this one. Brentwood, Franklin, Spring Hill, etc. You think those people ever go into Nashville?!

4. You have metal detectors on Beale Street?!

Are you questioning the City's choice to protect its residents? Also, I've been to the trauma unit at Vanderbilt...

7.  You literally turned a pyramid into a sporting goods store.

You have the Parthenon. We have the pyramid. At least it fits in with our city's name. And yes, we did decide to put something there that would help the economy. Is that a problem?

8. You glorify a dirty river and a muddy island.

No one is glorifying anything. But this is my Mississippi...


10. How the hell did you get an Ikea before we did?

I have no response to this jealousy. #sorrynotsorry

11. You still patronize the Rendezvous when there is so much better in BBQ in town.

Yes, there are better barbecue spots, but Rendezvous is a Memphis landmark. And did you ever think that maybe we send tourists there to keep them out of our favorite spots?

12. All your Grizzly love.

Seriously?! We will never apologize for our basketball love. It unites our city like nothing else. Sometimes people ask me if I like basketball. My response: "I'm from Memphis." So, I'm sorry that Memphis got their own basketball franchise and you have to share your football team with the whole state.




13. Why does the package I'm FedExing to Chattanooga have to go through Memphis?

Because it's FedEx. Interesting tidbit: Memphis has some of the freshest seafood for this reason. It ships straight here. Everything else has to go through the hub before reaching it's final destination.

14. West Memphis is in Arkansas?

Yes. It's west of Memphis, obviously. And Memphis is so cool that other cities wish they were us!

15. Memphis Barbecue Co. is actually in Mississippi?

See above.

16. That ranch house on Elvis Presley Blvd.

Anyone else singing Rick Ross right now? Apparently Nashville is knocking Elvis now too.

17. There are ducks in that hotel's lobby.

It's called the Peabody. And it's a tradition.

No comments:

Post a Comment