Monday, February 6, 2012

Day 89: I'm Baaaaaaack!

Yes, please read that in the creepy Shining voice. 

So, I'm back, but not really to write about this whole sabbatical thing-just to write about random things that I feel like writing about. :) Warning: this post will be a jumbled mess because that's how my thoughts are--well, most of the time-- but especially now. This break from blogging has been fabulous! It was exactly what I needed. When I don't have to think about something related to taking a break from dating, I don't have to think about it. And think about it, I have not! And it has been absolutely marvelous!

But I have been thinking a lot about fellowship versus community. Which I think is related to the whole milk to meat thing. Which reminds me of the meat to men phenomenon. And that just makes me laugh and think of and miss Rachel Nobel. (Can we have a reunion soon? Please!?) I used to think I wanted more of a chicken burger, but now I'm leaning towards a nice carnivorous sampler platter. :) Can anyone make that happen? If you have no idea what I'm talking about, feel free to ask me about it in person when I have time to give a full explanation with diagrams!

But alas, I digress. Fellowship and community. When someone goes from a life BC doing whatever they wanted and all of the sudden they are surrounded by a great group of Christian friends, it's great. And it's needed. But it's not community. Fellowship is like milk. It's an important part of growth, but once you have real community there is no longer the satisfaction with just the fellowship. Who wants to go back to milk when they have already tasted meat?

Last night, at the Super Bowl party was fun. It was fun to laugh at Christian pick-up lines. "Excuse me, I believe one of your ribs belongs to me!" And to try to find the gospel in all the commercials. (Some were more difficult than others...coughDavidBeckhamunderwearcough) But my favorite part of the night was getting to step away from all that and have a real, intentional, one-on-one conversation with Rachel about what's really going on in life. Knowing my struggles and the topics to ask about and questions to ask. And that, my friends, is community!

As sisters in Christ, we are called to carry each other's burdens. That's how Jamie and Eryka and I got so close. One night, we started talking about life and our stories and it got to the point where we knew each other's junk. And because of that, we had a responsibility to each other to deal with our issues together. And so after that night, there was no going back. We were too far gone. We knew the other's sins and couldn't ignore them.We were already in the trenches together!

That being said, community isn't for everyone. I mean, everyone needs community, but not with everyone else! BJ talks about different groups of friends. There are the friends that you let on your front porch. The ones that get the small talk and know surface level what's going on in your life. There are the kitchen talk friends. Friends that you let in to your house and get to see that things aren't always perfect, but it's not all there. And then there are friends that you let into your bedroom. Friends that get to see all the mess of your life-the most intimate details. And those friends are so needed! So essential for growth and challenging yourself! But everyone in your life isn't supposed to be that friend. Not everyone needs to come into your bedroom! I am so thankful for the fellowship of people around me to encourage me and teach me things, but I am even more grateful for the community of women that will call me out when I am being disobedient to God. Women that will mourn with me when I need to cry and lift me up when the period of mourning is over.Women that will take the weight off my shoulders and walk through the valleys with me to show me that I am not alone!

No comments:

Post a Comment