Thursday, June 15, 2017

Whole 30: Week 2

Alright, here we go again...

Day 8: Food day was easy today. Breakfast cup. Cilantro lime chicken and zucchini noodles for lunch. Banana and almonds for "dinner."

Still feeling good. I have energy, but I don't necessarily think that it's more energy than normal. Today was the day that my pants were supposed to feel tighter and thankfully I didn't notice that!

The frustrations that I was having yesterday were still very much present today. I'm still not sure if it's Whole 30-related. I did for a minute wonder if maybe it was doing something to mess with my hormones. I have heard that it has helped some people hormonally to help to regulate them, but I was already super regular so maybe it's throwing things off. Ugh! Either way, my emotional state is hanging by a thread. Some friends came over tonight to talk about it so we sat on the back porch and drank La Croix and I cryptically told them nothing. Welcome to my life! Ha!

Day 9: I cheated today. I weighed. Oops. I know you're not supposed to. I know that this whole thing is very much a mental challenge as much as it is a physical one. And I cheated. I have lost some weight, which I'm going to pretend like it was good for me to weigh and have some motivation, but really it stems back to a lot of unhealthy habits that I'm trying to change with all this. Maybe I should move the scale out of the bathroom until the end of this!

Food wise: Another breakfast cup. (This is going to be pretty standard for the next week.) I got hungry before lunch so I ate an orange and that seemed to do the trick. I had tacos for lunch with lettuce tortillas. They were spicy, but really good. Had some almonds when I got home from work. And then turkey and baked kale chips for dinner.

I'm already thinking about what I'm going to do when this month is over. I'm trying to decide which things are going to stick and which ones I'm giving up on. I've gotten used to black coffee, so I think I'm finished with creamer for good! I've thought about not bringing grains back in the house. I won't be as strict about not eating them, but I won't buy them at the grocery store or cook with them. And limit sweets, of course. We'll see how it goes. I still have a long way to go. And I'm about to enter into The Hardest Days...

Day 10: My schedule gets all messed up on the weekends. Had my coffee in the rocking chair outside while Molly played as usual. But then I kinda of just laid around the house and did a whole lot of nothing. I have been feeling better (emotionally) off and on, but I was feeling pretty depressed off and on today and didn't really feel like eating. At about 3, I decided I should probably get something, so I heated up some jerk chicken and had half a chicken breast with grapes and almonds. I also ate a banana around 5 before I met some friends for a 5K.

The race was miserable! It was hot and humid and I was not properly fed. Or watered. I made it through, but just barely. I chugged some water and ate an orange after the race. Then we met some friends at Levitt Shell to listen to music. My friends got chicken and shrimp kabobs with veggies. It seemed pretty safe so I asked what they cooked with. They both kind of looked at each other and said it was a handmade recipe. Once I questioned them about specific ingredients they said it had soy sauce, so I passed. Sad planet. I ate the other half of the jerk chicken when I got home. It was kind of a weird day for food.

Overall, I'm still feeling pretty good physically. I was thinking back on the week and I think that the main difference that I've noticed so far have been that I don't feel bloated. I've heard that was the first thing a lot of people noticed, but it's true. I also don't feel like I have the 3pm sugar crash. I used to hit a wall sometime after lunch. I would be exhausted and just want to take a nap. I definitely don't feel like I'm in the "tigerblood" invincible stage yet, but I feel like I have much more steady energy levels without the peaks and valleys, so that's a plus!

Day 11: My Sunday school class always brings breakfast. I brought a breakfast cup to eat so that I wouldn't be tempted with bagels and croissants and all things carbs! I did take communion today though, so technically I did have a bite of bread...

I just snacked after church- almonds and a banana. Then had some cilantro lime chicken and zoodles for dinner.

I had a minor headache pretty much all day today, but I think it was because of dehydration from the heinous race last night. I tried to chug water, but ended up giving in and taking some medicine in the afternoon. Still not convinced that it's Whole 30-related.

Day 12: I just reread my post from last week, and I'm definitely not feeling as enthusiastic about the whole thing as I was when I first started. The newness has worn off, and yet I'm still going. I've also been lazier about cooking and so I feel like the food I'm eating is boring. Or just repeats and that's not super exciting either. Maybe I need to do some cooking this week to get some excitement back!

Breakfast cup with black coffee this morning. I snacked on some almonds while I was working at my desk. I keep them close by.


I got home around 3. Drank some more water and grabbed an orange while I played with Molly. Then I decided to go to the gym and lift. I hadn't been in a while and it was pretty rough, but I made it through.

Confession: I have thought about quitting the past few days. At not even because I want to eat more food. I'm worried that it has been getting a little disordered. Sometimes the Type-A in me takes things overboard and does things way too much. I thought that this might be getting to that point. Bordering on the verge of unhealthy. Something either had to change or I was going to have to quit.

I decided to change things. After the gym, I made dinner. I heated up some jerk chicken and roasted some veggies. Super easy, but I start. I also marinated some chicken and put some salmon in the fridge to thaw. Hopefully things are back on the right foot. Time will tell.


Day 13: I take back (mostly) everything that I said last week. I think a lot of the crazy tiredness and emotions were Whole 30 related. But I'm glad that stage is over! I know that I'm not even halfway finished, but I really do think that I could keep this up longer. Well, I at least feel like I would feel better if I kept it up. I'm thinking about maybe continuing Whole 30 at home after this month, but being looser with the rules when I'm out.We'll see...

Breakfast cup again today. I'm almost out of them... Fajitas for lunch that I never ended up eating yesterday. After lunch, I grabbed a La Croix and realized that I was no longer craving sweets after lunch. The La Croix was delicious, but I didn't feel like I needed it to satisfy some other sweet tooth! Baby steps! Also, I wore a dress to work today that I haven't worn in probably a year. Hopefully by the end of the month, I feel like I'm getting a whole new wardrobe!

For dinner I snacked on some turkey with an orange and almonds. Grazing is better than nothing, right?

Day 14: This was an unusual morning. Molly barked a few times overnight, which she never does when she's in her kennel. Then I started hearing her moving around and scratching at like 4:30. Usually she is still fast asleep when I wake her up at 5:30 so I was a little concerned and went and got her. But then my morning routine was off. Ended up taking my coffee to-go, as well as a banana and almonds. Tacos for lunch.

I was feeling motivated and decided to cook for dinner. I made shrimp with zoodles.


Halfway through cooking, my power went out... again! It only lasted about 20 minutes, but I was a little nervous. Thankfully, my gas stove was already lit so I was able to keep cooking through the outage. I ate half the shrimp and put leftovers in the fridge. Then I cooked the chicken that had been marinating so I would be prepared.

Overall, I'm feeling better. I feel like I've hit a stride this week so hopefully I can keep riding the wave!

No comments:

Post a Comment