Monday, April 3, 2017

SB2K17

I wrote earlier about how I needed a getaway. My mom was on Spring Break so we planned a long weekend trip to the beach. Wednesday afternoon, I dropped Molly off at camp (more on that in the next post) and then went to pick up my mom to drive down to Seaside!


It was apparently everyone's Spring Break and so it was super busy and still pretty chilly when we first got there, but we were at the beach so I have no complaints. We checked in and got our complimentary bottle of wine- in addition to the 4 bottles that my mom brought with us.


Then we went to the cottage, unpacked, and walked up to the square to get something to eat. We were going to go to the Pizza Bar, but there was a wait so we opted for the Taco Bar instead. Frozen margarita, fish and shrimp tacos, and fresh guac. Delish! I also told my mom about the (2) times that I used a fake ID- both times to get into places; neither time to drink. Then we walked around a little more before heading back to the house to relax and open up some wine.

Thursday we woke up early. Because that's what we do. We hung out around the condo for a little while. It was still pretty cold! Then we decided that it was too cold for the beach so we jumped on our bikes for a ride. We rode down 30A towards Grayton, stopping a few times to look around some shops. We were hungry after our bike ride, so we decided to hit up the Pizza Bar before the wait was too long. I got an incredible pizza and the waiter recommended a drink that had tequila and jalapenos in it. Short of margaritas, I don't drink a lot of tequila and I really don't like jalapenos, so I wasn't sure how to feel about it, but I ordered it anyway and it was great! It was a little fruity and sweet, but with a swift kick. Yum! While we were eating, we saw some people walking down to the beach (mostly in sweatshirts) but we decided that it was too cold. My mom does not typically drink hard liquor and between work and the tequila, she wanted to take a nap. We headed back to the cottage and she took a nap while I grabbed a book and sat outside on the rocker reading. Oh, how I miss leisurely reading!

When she woke up from her nap, we walked/biked around some more, went to a few shops in Seaside proper, and talked to some of the locals. We decided to do an early-ish dinner (because we're old) and went with Bud and Alley's so that we could sit on the patio overlooking the beach. We got amazing drinks and shared crab cakes and hummus. And we eavesdropped on the conversation of the table of girls that sat behind us. It sounded like they were in grad school and talking about their research and stuff. They also ordered a bottle of wine. To share. Between the 8 of them! When we left the restaurant, it was still fairly early so we walked around and did a little bit of exploring before heading back to the cottage. Then we snuggled up on the couch with wine and candles (Hygge) and a really good movie, that I can't remember the name of. Oops!

Friday was St Patrick's Day so I made sure to put on green when I woke up. My mom and I biked over to the gym thinking that we would get a quick workout in, but there were too many people there and I don't really do crowds, so we went for a quick bike ride instead. Then we went back to the Pizza Bar for lunch. We got mimosas and shared some appetizers. We sat outside again and it had definitely warmed up. We saw plenty of people walking down to the beach, so after lunch we rode back to the house, changed clothes, and headed to the beach. We commandeered some chairs and I read for a little bit. The view was beautiful, but the wind still made it pretty chilly. And there were so. many. teens.


So we didn't end up staying as long as we had anticipated. We packed up our beach stuff and headed to the adult pool. Much less people and the wind was blocked so it wasn't as cold. We stayed there for a few hours (and until our wine was gone) and then headed back to the cottage. It was still fairly early and we weren't starving so we decided to sit on the deck with some chips and the best mango salsa ever from Modica Market. We also opened up another bottle of wine. Obvi. After our apps, my mom decided to be lame and that she didn't want to go back out. She asked if I wanted to go get her something and bring it back. I did not. But I did put on real clothes and bike up to the square. I got Taco Bar again for myself and sat and read while I ate. Then I picked up Shrimp Shack to take back to her.


Saturday, we went straight to the gym before it got too busy and got a good workout in! Then biked around before going home. This was definitely the warmest day, so we went back to the house changed clothes and went to check out the farmer's market. We bought some amazing shrimp dip and decided to just have a picnic lunch. We got a drink called the Stress Reliever that someone had recommended. It was incredible! After lunch, we did the same routine again.


Beach for a while, then back to the adult pool for some more relaxation. My mom left earlier than I did to go back and shower and go to mass. I stayed at the pool, reading and relaxing and drinking wine. Then I eventually went back to shower and get ready before mom got back. When she was back, we decided that, since it was our last night, we would do a nice dinner. We biked over to Watercolor and went to the Watercolor Inn. We sat on the deck because we wanted the sunset view. It was a little chilly, but they did provide us with wraps to wear while outside.


The food was amazing! First we had an asparagus amuse-bouche that I didn't know how i would feel about it when the waitress first brought it out, but it was great. We shared everything... seafood soup and Brussels sprouts for apps and then a white fish for our entree. By that time it had gotten darker and we couldn't see the view so it wasn't worth the cold. Our waitress moved us inside and we decided to splurge on dessert. We got coffee and a strawberry and dark chocolate souffle. So good! The chef also sent us with some complimentary chocolates to take with us. The food was wonderful and so was the service. I would definitely recommend this. It was a great last night!

We had to leave on Sunday so we woke up and packed up before going for a quick last-minute bike ride. Then we went over to Amavida and sat outside and drank our coffee while listening to the sounds of the ocean. Then it was time to load up the car and drive back to Memphis. I was sad to leave the beach and go back to reality, but I was ready to see Molly!

Next time I go to Seaside, it will definitely be in the off-season and not Spring Break, but overall, it was a great trip with my mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment