Thursday, April 20, 2017

Day in the Life | Spring 2017

Alright, it's that time again. I'm linking up with Julia at My Life in Transition for another Day in the Life post. I don't always do these, but I like to occasionally because I like to look back on the mundane details of my day. And I usually find a blogger or 2 to add to my list after seeing the others that have linked up...

Thursday, April 13, 2017
I'm 30. Molly is 6.5 months and approximately 68 pounds (probably more now)

3:45 am | My alarm goes off. I roll over and press snooze. I stayed up late last night reading. And I drank wine last night. Drinking, no matter how much, always makes it harder to get up in the morning. Early mornings get harder as the week goes on too!

4:40 am | Finally decide to get out of bed. Bathroom. Brush teeth. Make bed. Thrown on some clothes and lay out my makeup.

5:10 am | Go into the den and wake up Molly. Some days she just lies in her crate looking at me when I open the door so I sit down with her for a while, but today she gets right up. Let her go outside and see what the weather feels like. I totally forgot to take a weather screenshot, but I think it was about 80 today.

5:15 am | Come back in and feed Molly and fill up her water. Turn on the coffee maker for me.

5:25 am | Decide that I should go ahead and do a "Day in the Life" today so I make some quick notes about what I've done so far.

5:30 am | Coffee. The nectar of the gods! I really want avocado toast this morning, but I used my last avocado yesterday so I settle for Greek yogurt and granola.

Some days Molly does really well and will lie down on the couch or play with her toys, but this morning she is really clingy and trying to get to my food so she gets gated in the den while I eat.

5:45 am | Check some emails then pull out my Bible. I'm a day behind in Isaiah for She Reads and I'm reading through Galatians on my own. This is not quite as relaxing as it used to be as I go back and forth into the den to stop Molly from craziness. She has so much energy this morning!

6: 25 am | Time for hair and makeup. It sound much more glamorous than it actually is... Molly hangs out in the living room while I get ready. She's not going to fit in this chair for much longer!

6:45 am | Get a text from my student that he won't be at work today. *Insert all the praise hands emojis* I have had some great students in the past and some are definitely better than others, but they still slow me down some and I leave feeling more emotionally drained than usual because I have to talk twice as much to explain and teach.

6:53 am | My "time to leave" alarm goes off. Turn on some Hamilton and jam out! Throw my breakfast dishes in the dishwasher and fill up my water bottle. Let Molly out to go to the bathroom again while I load up some things in my car. Put her collar on her and she immediately gets excited!

7:10 am | Drop Molly off at daycare. She literally runs to get there! I take her 2 days a week so that she can get out some energy and play with other dogs, because otherwise she is in her crate all day while I'm at work. It's on the way to work and she seems to love it!

7:30 am | Get to work. Do a quick skim of the list. Why are there so many new people on it?! Ugh!

8:00 am | Meet with the doc and split up the list. Then I look over my to-do list... Call nephrology, vascular, EP, and endocrine. Some days I really feel like all I do is manage consults... Sheesh!

8:15 am | Start the day with a new admission. I look her up in the computer before I go see her. Somehow the scripts that she got last month when she was in the hospital are completely different than what she had filled at the pharmacy the next day. How does that even happen?!

9:00 am | Her family isn't in the room and because of her mental status, I can't get most of the information that I need. Guess I'll just add another phone call to my list...

9:55 am | Saw a few more patients. Now I'm sitting down to try and do some notes. I also need to go ahead and make some phone calls so I can dictate the H&P.

10:40 am | I feel like I'm running in circles today. I get paged from a social worker about a patient that I have been trying to discharge for what feels like weeks. We finally got the insurance authorization for him to go to rehab. So I drop what I'm doing and walk across the hospital to do his discharge.

11:15 am | I still have so much to do! And I'm super behind on dictating discharge summaries. I really want to leave early today. I need to pick up the pace. Thankful that my student isn't with me today so I can move a little lot faster!

12:00 pm | Finally caught up on discharges for the day! Now time to see if I can at least some of my other patients before my meeting.

12:35 pm | Finished seeing everyone. It's an Easter miracle! Head back to my office so that I can grab my laptop and attempt to do some notes during the meeting.

1:00 pm | We have our weekly meeting with the CMO of the hospital. It's mostly lots of talk about length of stay and system issues and boring things like that, but it is also one of the only times that all of us are all together during the week so there are usually lots of tangents! At least they feed us...

2:25 pm | Finally out of the meeting. Go back to my office to finish up notes. And dictate even more!

3:45 pm | I'm finished early! And I'm off tomorrow for Good Friday. The weekend can begin!

4:00 pm | Go and pick up Molly from daycare. Hang out a little longer than usual to talk to the cute guy that is also picking up his dog. Man, I used to have such a crush on him. And now he's engaged. Story of my life...

4:15 pm | Get home and feed Molly an "after school snack" and get her some water. Throw on some sandals. Then I give Molly a bone to try to distract her so that I can leave the house. I did this same trick yesterday though so she didn't fall for it today. She followed me to the back door and sat at the door watching me leave. It breaks my heart! But I know that she's been playing hard all day and that she's exhausted.

4:25 pm | Leave for my cousin's house.

4:45 pm | I'm still driving. I hate driving! This is why I stick to my 5-mile driving radius 95% of the time.

4:50 pm | Finally! I came over to celebrate my nephew's first birthday! Well, it's my cousin's son, so technically he's my first cousin-once-removed. My mom comes over as well and we hang out and reminisce about Simon's birth and first year of life. Then we FaceTime with my aunt so she can say happy birthday to Simon too!

6:55 pm | A few glasses of wine, my favorite chocolate and peanut butter cupcake, and sweet conversation and then it's time to head home.

7:10 pm | I get to come home to this little nugget! I feed her some dinner and give her some Benadryl for her allergies. They are so bad right now. Poor thing!

7:15 pm | I'm supposed to go to dinner with some friends tonight, but one of them is sick and cancelled and the other one is already downtown with some other people. She invited me to join, but I'm exhausted and really don't want to drive downtown...

7:30 pm | I made it! Turn off my pager. Now it really is officially the weekend!

7:35 pm | Curl up on the couch and watch some Big Bang while trying to decide if I want to go out tonight. Molly chews on her bone- that she didn't seem to touch while I was gone. Of course! I can hardly keep my eyes open so I bail on going out and we reschedule for tomorrow night. Man, I'm getting old!

7:45 pm | I watch a little TV and start working on this post. Then I eventually give up and put my computer away. At some point, I fall asleep on the couch.

9:00 pm | Realize that I've been asleep. And that I never ate dinner. Guess it's too late now. Molly has already put herself to bed. She usually goes to sleep at 8:30 and I'm sure right about that time, she went and got in her crate and went to sleep. I give her a treat and close the kennel door and then head back to my room.

9:15 pm | Text with a friend for a little bit and make plans to meet at the dog park tomorrow. Read a little bit before I nod back off to sleep.

I realize as I'm writing this that I'm 30 years old and single. I don't have to work the next day and yet I was still asleep by 9:15 (technically 8...). In my defense, I am generally awake for the same amount of hours as everyone else. I just front-load them. :) This is likely one of the reasons why I'm single. Oh well. C'est la vie!

No comments:

Post a Comment