Monday, January 30, 2017

Pupdate

Ha! Puns are funny. Also, I get weekly "pupdates" from the AKC and it makes me chuckle every time. I just realized that while I have posted pictures of Molly on SnapChat and Insta, I haven't done an update here since the very first one and so much has changed.

First of all, we went back to the vet last week and got our last set of vaccines! So now she can officially start going to the dog park and to daycare. Praise Jesus; Hallelujah! And we are finished at the vet for a while. She'll go back in a few months to get spayed and then we'll only have to get yearly shots! (Technically, we still have to go to the vet monthly to get her heartworm pills. They are weight-based and since she grows so fast, I can't buy in bulk. So every month we go in and weigh and get meds. But that will change once she reaches her full weight...)


I didn't even realize how much she has changed until I looked at these comparison pictures!

She is so much fun! She does pretty well following commands- as long as she's not too excited. She knows how to sit, lie down, and high five. She is doing so- much better on the leash and gets excited when I bring it out because she knows that means that she's going for a walk. She has 2 teeth that are coming in and 2 more that I can see are just about to break through her gums so I know that she's hurting. We've been doing a lot of frozen toys lately. Her favorites are her rope and her Kong- someone suggested freezing peanut butter in her Kong and it is a great way for me to eat dinner (mostly) uninterrupted.

She doesn't love cars yet. That's the only time she still wants to be a lap dog. But I think that's also because pretty much the only place she's been is to the vet. Now that she's had her shots, I need to get her out more so that the car will be a fun thing.

She doesn't like going outside alone- especially if she doesn't have to go to the bathroom. If I just want her to go outside and play, she stubbornly sits on the other side of the room and just looks at me. But I think we are about 98% house broken! I put some bells on the backdoor and I'm trying to train her to ring them to let me know when she wants to go outside, but no luck yet. We'll keep trying.

 

She loves walks and is doing pretty well with walking with a loose leash and not pulling. When she starts to pull at all, I just stop walking and she slows down again. I am also teaching her to sit at the corner before crossing the street. She is doing really well and I would love for her to be off-leash at some point. She does well with other dogs and people on walks. She slows down and looks at them curiously, but does not bark or make any attempts to chase them. It's a different story when we are in the backyard and she hears barking! She is very protective of me and will bark and try to assert dominance if she feels someone is coming into her space.

She loves to curl up on the corner of the couch- especially when the sun shines through the window just right. We have taken a few naps together there recently. Bliss! She is still not allowed on my bed though. I'm not planning on her ever being allowed up there, but we'll see. I may cave...


Overall, it's been a lot of fun. My one piece of advice if I had to do it over again, would be to get a puppy in the Spring, not Winter. She doesn't like the cold (neither do I) and it can be hard to get all her energy out in the house. Otherwise though, she's a mess and I love her!


** Update: She has her interview for daycare on Wednesday, so hopefully everything will go well and she can start next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment