Saturday, October 15, 2016

Day in the Life, Fall 2016

Well, I decided to link up with Julia at My Life in Transition for another Day in the Life. I have linked up with her once before. You can read that post here. I have also done DiTL posts when I was working 7-on/7-off. I did a work day and an at-home day.

For those of you that found me from Julia's blog, welcome! I'm probably not Julia's typical blog reader. I'm 30. And single (in the South). Feel free to offer your opinions on that. Everyone else does. :) I am a nurse practitioner with a group of internal medicine hospitalists at a teaching hospital. I documented a "typical" Tuesday...

4:05 am | My alarm goes off. Some days it's easier to get up than others. This is not one of those days. I push snooze and try to roll back over.

4:14 am | Alarm is going off again. I can't delay it any longer. I roll out of bed and go straight to the kitchen to turn on the coffee maker. While I'm waiting on the coffee, I make my bed, brush my teeth, and check some emails. Then I get my coffee and just sit and stare for a little while. I drink some coffee while I look over the Bible verses for this morning.

4:35 am | Alright. I have been sitting long enough. Time to get up and get dressed. Throw on some makeup and top  off my coffee.

4:59 am | Leave my house. I'm running late, but thankfully I only live 0.8 miles away. Make it to Starbucks for Bible study at 5:01!



Yes, I bring my own coffee. a) I don't like Starbucks coffee that much and b) I'm cheap and don't want to pay for coffee every week when I have it at my house...



6:15 am | Leave the Bucks. Get in the car and turn on the heat. Why is it so cold ?! (I didn't take a picture, but I think that it was like 58 degrees. I live in the South. I'm a baby about cold). It's that weird time of year when it's "cold" in the morning and I want a sweater, but by the time I leave work it's 90 degrees!

Run by the post office to drop off my Netflix DVD and go across the street to get gas. Yay for 20 cent discounts!



I have been so productive this morning! But it is too early for all this...



6:35 am | Get to work. I think it takes me longer to park in the garage and walkto my office than it does to actually drive here. I print lists for the day and look over the patients. Then I try to get caught up on some dictation that I am behind on.

7:30 am | I have a student with me today and she meets me in the office and I talk to her about some of the patients.

7:45 am | Realize that I've been up for hours and am starting to get hungry. Check out the snack closet. I should choose something semi-healthy like oatmeal, but instead I grab a poptart. 



Meet with the case manager and social worker to talk about the patients and what they will need for discharge. Then go run the list with the doc that I'm working with this week. It takes forever because we both keep getting paged about patients on the floor needing things and new patients in the ED waiting to be admitted.

8:45 am | Finally get out to the floor and start seeing patients. I try to write notes as I go so I don't get overwhelmed at the end of the day. And trying to teach my student a little something along the way.

12:45 pm | Head down to lunch with some of the group. Enjoy sitting and doing nothing for a while. And surprisingly make it through lunch without getting a single page!

1:30 pm | Back out to the floor to see more patients.

3:30 pm | Finished! Love early days! Time to leave the office.

3:50 pm | Home sweet home! Try to decide if I want to take a nap or work on this post some.

3:53 pm | Get a page from one of the social workers on the floor. (I'm technically "on call" from 6:30a-6:30p until the covering doc takes over). Doesn't look like I'm going to get a nap in today. Grab a Diet Sunkist and my computer to put in some orders. Turn on Friends and start this blog post.



4:40 pm | Realize what time it is. Change out of work clothes and into jeans.

5 pm | Therapy. I've been seeing my therapist for about 2 years now and she's amazing! Also, I recommend therapy to everyone. It's nice to have a neutral party to talk to and offer another opinion. I only see her once a month now but it's always so good!



6:05 pm | Leave therapy and head to the grocery store. I try to be an efficient shopper. I keep an ongoing grocery list on my phone at all times. I add to it as I think of things that I need. Then I put them in order based on where they are in the store.

As I'm checking out, I see a girl getting in line that's buying a bottle of wine and a gallon of milk. At least she has her priorities in line. :)

6:45 pm | Get home from the grocery store and put food away. Wash all the fruit and put it in separate containers. I try to do all of this ahead of time so that it will make it easier. I'm much more likely to grab a handful of grapes when I'm hungry if they are already washed and off the vine.

7 pm | Work on this blog a little more. Check on patients again. Freshen up my makeup. 

7:20 pm | A friend picks me up to go to dinner. 

7:30 pm | We meet 2 other friends at Babalu. These are all nursing friends, that have actually been my students in the past. One of them is married, but doesn't have any kids and the others are single. (Tomorrow, I'm going to dinner with friends from high school. They are all married- and have 5 kids between them. It will be a very different dinner than tonight...) Dinner is a lot of fun though. We talk about work and doctors and dating. I have my favorite drink here, a shine-a-rita. It's a margarita- with moonshine and it's delicious! We also ordered the guacamole that is made fresh, tableside. I planned to take a picture, but we inhaled it before I could...



9:30 pm | We leave dinner. The friend that I rode with asked if I wanted to meet up with her husband and his friend to hang out for a little while. I laugh. I'm exhausted and just want to go home!


9:40 pm | Home from dinner. I turn on This is Us, which might be my new favorite show that's on right now. I start it, but keep dozing off on the couch.

10 pm | I finally give up on trying to watch TV. Change into pajamas and brush my teeth. Optimistically, I want to go to the gym tomorrow morning before work so I pack a bag and lay out clothes. Then I crawl into bed, exhausted!

4 comments:

  1. Now that I see you've posted and you're kid-free, I may try and link up next time around. Problem is, I'm not that on the ball and can never get my shiz together. I'm almost 33, married but no kids.

    Anyways, so very very lovely to meet you girl. :)

    Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! You should definitely link up next time. I feel like I'm always the only one without a typical "mommy blog." I'll have to check yours out. Nice to meet you too!

      Delete
  2. I'm impressed at how early you get up. Also, I'm pretty sure moonshine is illegal in my state. I remember driving to South Dakota when I was younger and buying it because of that, but now that I think of it I'm not sure I ever drank it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love getting up early. I feel so much more productive in the mornings. You should definitely try moonshine. I recommend apple or peach to start off with!

      Delete