Sunday, February 20, 2011

On Your Left

Today was the final day of the Winter Cross Country Race Series. It's hard to call it a winter series when it was about 75 degrees today, but it it still February so winter it is! The series was made up of 4 races, a 3k, a 5k, an 8k, and today-a 10k.

During the 8k, I made a rule to myself that no one was going to pass me. Granted, I started near the back of the pack. I know that I'm not the fastest runner and trail runs are totally different on your body than the flat, paved paths I've been running. So, I start in the back and tell myself that no one will pass me on this course. It was a really fun run, but HOLY HILLS! Lots of hills! And by hills, I don't just mean ups and downs. I mean steep, narrow hills covered with mud and tree roots. Every step was an adventure (and the whole time I'm thinking to myself, "Don't fall. You don't have insurance.") So I'm running and watching my step and looking at all the surroundings. And there is nothing like the feeling of saying, "On your left!" as you run past someone! After I passed them, I was determined to keep up the pace so that they wouldn't pass me. And this was a narrow path so passing meant going off the trail and running on even more tree roots and leaves that you couldn't see what was under them.

Addressing what JB said in his sermon, PET PEEVE*** when people run with ipods and other musical devices. There is nothing worse than saying "on your left!" and the person in front of you makes no attempt to move to the side and then when you finally make it around them you can hear their music blaring. Ugh! If you are going to run with music, please only use one earbud (Is that what they are called? I don't do the whole music thing...) and preferably in your right ear so you can still hear me when I want to pass you. Kthanks.

(In case you were wondering, I did not let anyone pass me. I even beat Jane- the women that was ahead of me in the 5K)

Today was the 10K and not quite as successful. The reasons (yes, I know they are excuses but some of them are legit):
1. It was a lot hotter than I am used to running and I was not properly hydrated.
2. It was really windy and always seemed to be going against me!
3. I have been eating horribly the past 2 weeks or so and that has to change. I can definitely tell a difference in my runs.
4. I was sick. My fever broke on Saturday night and I thought about not running but I'm stubborn and wanted to push myself.
So despite all the excuses, I ran the race and finished it and have exactly 2 weeks until the half marathon...EEK!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment