Monday, July 2, 2018

Church Swap

Alright so I'm back to searching for a church... I left my last church in search of community and first talked about finding a church back in 2015. It has been an amazing community. My class and small group have provided me with real, life-giving, intentional relationships and, for that, I am thankful. But I also had some issues... Since I wrote that post last April, I did go to the Exploring Membership class. I was able to ask some questions, but overall I don't think I got the answers that I was looking for- or I did get answers that were a confirmation that this was not where I needed to be. When I was last looking for a church, my first priority was community and as long as they were preaching the gospel then I was content, but the longer that I was there, the more I felt like it was straying from that. I felt as if the gospel was getting watered down and there was more emphasis on political correctness than truth. It just got the point where I couldn't ignore it anymore.

I talked to the boy about it. I told him my reasons for feeling like it wasn't the church for me anymore. He listened and agreed with most of my reasons. And I am grateful for that because I felt very strongly about it and had decided to leave whether he was on board or not. But he supported my decision. After that we sat down and talked about what things we are looking for in a church and what our highest priorities are. It was a good conversation about seeing where we aligned and on which points we differed. But after coming up with our list of priorities, we narrowed down a few churches and have been visiting for the past few months. Our goal is to give each church 4-6 weeks to get a good feel for it. It is a little more difficult with my work schedule. There have been a few weeks where I have been able to sneak away for church and then go back to work afterwards and there have been some weeks where I'm super busy and he's had to go alone. Because of that, we definitely want a place where we both feel comfortable and at home. It's a journey, but I'm excited about it. Pray for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment