Monday, November 21, 2016

Reflections

In case you have been hibernating for the past year or so, there was an election recently. And... I'm not going to talk about it. It has been everywhere! It's all over social media and the news and, to be honest, I'm kind of sick of it. But even more than that, I don't even know what to say. There are so many thoughts swirling through my head (per usual) that I can't even really pin down a complete statement. So I won't even try.

But what I will say is that through all the crazy social media explosion, I have seen some friends that have said things far more eloquently than I could. Friends who have put into words what I was thinking and feeling. I have been reflecting a lot on some of the things that I have read and I can honestly say that I am so thankful.

I have talked about this a little before, but my parents were very intentional with my siblings and me. They placed us in situations of diversity constantly. We celebrated Christmas at home, but I had vivid memories of playing with dreidels and eating potato latkes in elementary school when we were learning about Hanukkah. I remember learning about Kwanza and Ramadan- not just because it was part of the curriculum, but because there were students in my class that observed each of these holidays and we were able to experience some of their traditions with them.

In high school, I had many conversations with peers who had differing opinions and beliefs. These were not arguments or persuasions. They were discussions of differences. Through those discussions, I was challenged to think through what I believed and why. Some conversations caused me to question things, but in the end my faith was strengthened through those discussions.

As I have been perusing facebook and other sites, I can honestly say that I am proud of my friends and the way that they have handled tough conversations. They have asked thoughtful questions and facilitated difficult conversations. They have shown compassion and tolerance and love! They have continued to show that we don't always have to agree, but we can always be kind! For this I am forever thankful!

No comments:

Post a Comment