Friday, January 17, 2014

Judge a Book by its Cover

Everyone always says, "Don't judge a book by its cover" but that is precisely what I do. One of my New Year's resolutions is to read one book every month. At the beginning of the month, I made the trek out to the Collierville library (my parents address is still on my license so I have to go to Collierville, blah!) My method for choosing books? I walk up and down the aisles and judge books 100% by their cover. If they look interesting, I get them. I limited myself to 5 this time, but wrote down a whole list of others that look good for next time.

Well, I said one book a month. It's the 15th and I'm starting my 3rd book today. I forgot how much I love to get lost in a good book! It's so refreshing!

I decided to start with a light read. I have read some Jane Green books before and they are usually fluff, beach reads about nothing of importance. Just a good escape. Exactly what I needed. So I started with this one. It's about a mother with young children that is diagnosed with leptomeningeal carcinomatosis (essentially a brain tumor). I found myself tearing up multiple times. Granted, it is not some philosophical tome, but it's also not quite the light and fluffy book I was planning on. It was a good one though. I would recommend it.

After that, I decided to read this one. It's super short- about a hundred pages. I read it in a little over an hour. And found myself tearing up again. (Although, I am more emotional than the average person so this isn't too much of a surprise.) This one is about a woman who meets Jesus on an airplane. Short and sweet, but demonstrates how much Jesus loves us. Sweet story!

This is the next one on the list. It's by the same guy that wrote A Prayer for Owen Meany, which was a great book so I thought "Why not?!" Again, I have no real system for how I choose books to read, but so far I have picked some good ones. 

What have you been reading? Any good recommendations?

2 comments:

  1. Unbroken by Lauren Hillenbrand. It was the best book I read last year by far. It isn't like any of the books on your list, but it's soo good. It reads like a novel though it's nonfiction. It is also pretty long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard that's a good one! I'll add it to the list. Thanks!

      Delete