Wednesday, January 2, 2013

What Goes Around

Comes back around. Feel free to listen to a little JT while you read...

For good or for bad, I have always joked that my life is cyclical. Because of that, I think I have a higher than average occurrence of deja vu. And my first post of 2012 was a little of a soapbox so I guess it's about time for me to play a little defense again. (Not that I'm playing anything. Life is not a game!) But for real, last night was New Year's Eve and it was a lot of fun. And encouraging. And I only cried a little bit. So I guess that's a success!

As much as I am beginning to enjoy bigger gatherings, the introvert in me will always choose intentional conversations over being the life of the party. So I'm thankful that a few of those took place last night. Last night was a beautiful reminder of the grace God continues to lavish on me. And I am so blessed by the friends that act as the hands and feet of Jesus and show me an extension of that grace. Yep, I'm tearing up again just thinking about it. In light of the new year, the conversation was such a sweet reminder of 2 Corinthians 5:17. "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come." I was also reminded of Revelation 21:4-5 "He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for former things have passed away. And He who was seated on the throne said, 'Behold, I am making all things new...'" Which always takes me back to a specific time about 18 months ago when that verse was exactly what I needed to hear! Here's a confession, I don't always understand unconditional love. Sometimes I just can't wrap my mind around it. I don't get forgiveness. It just doesn't make sense. Why would a holy God forgive me and love me no matter what? And then, why would other people? Why would other people choose to ignore the past, to look beyond the failures, to forgive the hurts, and simply love? I still don't always understand it. But I am so thankful for forgiveness and for the Holy Spirit in the lives of those around me! So dear friends, thank you for continually showing me Jesus through your lives! If only we were mic'd...

So all in all, 2012 was a good year. It was a growing year and I'm excited to see what 2013 has in store. I love New Year's resolutions. I love a good list and an Excel spreadsheet. I'm excited about getting a new calendar and a 2013 planner. Yes, I have a dry erase calendar and I use the calendar on my phone and my google calendar online, but I still like to physically write things down! Over the past few days weeks, I've been thinking about what resolutions I want to make this year. I have tried to consider all realms of life--spiritual, physical, mental, social--and have come up with at least one for each area. Because I am slightly OCD, there are 13 resolutions this year. I know that eventually I won't be able to do that anymore but this year, it works! I'm not going to list them all out here, but I'll probably mention them throughout the next few weeks. I'm ready for a great year! "Doin big thangs in 2013!"

Beautiful Jesus. Beautiful Savior.
Nothing is greater
Brilliant Creator. Friend of mine.
-Beautiful Jesus, Kristian Stanfill


My chains are gone. I've been set free
My God, my Savior has ransomed me
And like a flood His mercy rains
Unending love, Amazing grace!
-Amazing Grace, Chris Tomlin

No comments:

Post a Comment