Sunday, July 15, 2012

Try It On

I went through a couple different title ideas for this post, but I figured that the #DTR girls might be the only ones that will really appreciate this post. So this title is for them. This weekend was tricky. But it was so good. And so needed.

Let's rewind. Sometimes God speaks to me through deer. Not about dinner parties or anything. There have been a few times when things are hard and I see deer and am reminded of God's goodness and faithfulness. So Friday night I was driving to my parents' house and I turn the corner where I have seen deer a few times and I look for them and... nothing. They're not there. And I'm kind of disappointed. Okay, so God what are you trying to tell me? And I didn't get an answer. At least not right away.

Then today I'm driving home and singing and praying and I happen to look over and there is a baby deer (or fawn if you're playing along at home) and I just started laughing. Because it is a reminder of God's goodness, but it's also a reminder of new mercies. It's like God is saying, "Behold I make all things new." His mercies truly are new every morning! Such a wonderful--and timely--answer.
Then, when I was driving again I got tired of the music so I turned it off and just tried listening. The Bible app on my phone has an audio option. So I decided to ask God what I should read. And the first thing that came to mind was Romans 8. So I tried it on. :) And then I opened the app on my phone and the verse of the day was Romans 8:37. I'll take that as some confirmation. So I listened to it...

For you did not receive the spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received the Spirit of adoption as sons, by whom we cry, "Abba! Father!" The Spirit himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, then heirs- heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, provided we suffer with him in order that we may also be glorified with him. (v 15-17)

Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words. (v 26)

For I am sure that neither life nor death, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord. (v 38)


No comments:

Post a Comment