Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Mission Field

Today I shadowed in Dialysis. I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. First of all, I was only there from 7-4 which made it feel pretty short. That last 3 hours is hard :) Second, after transplant, I have a special love for kidney patients and feel like I got to see the whole process from pre-transplant assessment to follow-up during my rotation in school but I had never seen dialysis. So today I really got to see the entire process.

And the nurse I was shadowing was great! He had worked everywhere--literally: on the floor, agency, MICU, trauma, CVICU, neuro ICU, and now dialysis (I left some off). So he was able to tell me about all different units and give advice and he was a great teacher. He really talked me through what he was doing at all times. He asked what I was interested in long-term so I told him all about my love for transplant and why I thought it was so great. After lunch, he takes me up to the transplant floors and transplant ICU to meet some of the nurses. He introduced me to the Patient Care Coordinator in the ICU and put in a good word for me. Yay! While we were up there, he saw the Chief Nursing Officer (pretty legit. It doesn't really get higher than her) so he goes over and gives her a hug and introduces me to her also. I'm pretty stoked!

But none of that is why I'm writing this post. I was there for 9 hours- basically a step or two behind him at all times so we were able to talk. A lot. About everything. At one point he saw a coworker walking through the unit and so he started to tell me about how this guy used to invite him to church all the time. So then he started talking about religion. His wife is a Christian and takes his children to church but he isn't. He goes into the reasons why. While he's talking, the Holy Spirit is telling me to say something to him, but my mind is going through all the reasons why I don't want to. So after he gets done telling me all this, he says "I can see your mind spinning. Go ahead and say what you want to say." Sometimes Jesus gives me the little nudge that I need! So I talked to him about the gospel... about having a real relationship with Christ... about love versus obligation and a check off list. As I was leaving for the day, I thanked him for shadowing me and told him that I learned a lot from him. He said he learned from me too and learned that he doesn't really know everything. I don't know exactly what that means, but I'm praying that no matter what I said, he heard Christ through me and that I at least planted a seed in his life (or help water one that was already planted...) Pray for him. He is one of those people that knows all the "facts," but from our conversation I feel as though Jesus is just knocking on the door to his heart trying to get his attention and waiting on him to open the door.

As I was leaving the hospital, I thought about my sweet d-group girls. On Sunday, we read some articles in Voice of the Martyrs and prayed over some of the men and women who risk their lives every day for their faith. We talked about how the worse thing we have to face is rejection. I am so thankful for the opportunity to talk to this man today. I have been praying for situations just like this one. It was also a sweet reminder that this is more than just a job. I will come in contact with so many patients, family members, and coworkers and this is my mission field!! I'm excited to work with this mindset and see who the Lord is going to put in my path. Keep me in your prayers!!

No comments:

Post a Comment