Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Adventures of a Runner

I use the term "runner" loosely, but the adventure part is 100% true! I have been slacking on my running the past few weeks, and getting more nervous as race day approaches, so this weekend I told Sally I was going to stay on program everyday this week. Well, Sunday night it snowed, so I'm trying to think where I can run inside, but Monday when I got home it was slightly warmer than I thought so I decided to go for it! I bundled up in the warmest running clothes I could find and started my adventure. I had to run in the street because the sidewalks were too slippery, and I sometimes felt like I was on an obstacle course, but that just made it more fun! And I got to see lots of kids playing outside and building snowmen. I did step in a puddle at about 2 miles and had to run with a wet sock on my right foot-not fun, but other than that, great adventure and sense of accomplishment!
Here I am before the run... a little nervous!



And 4.5 miles later (I took off the hat and gloves about a mile in, and the top shirt after about 2.5 miles)

I mentioned in my last post that running is my prayer time and yesterday was no different. I am constantly in awe of creation while I'm on my runs, but this time I had a little change of scenery which was nice. I was also consistently reminded that I am washed white as snow! I would run past yards and just see a vast expanse of white. They hadn't been walked on yet and there were no blemishes. It was amazing! I love those little moments when I can just smile to myself and say "Thanks, Dad!"

Another thing God used the snow to remind me of, is the blessing of community and the joys of friendship! We wrapped up in blankets and watched movies and drank apple cider and ate lots of snacks and laughed. Fun times! I ended up staying the night so I didn't have to drive all the way back to my house in the snow and so I started thinking about it all on my run. I have been going back and forth on whether to live alone or with roommates. There's a part of me that would like to live alone- to be able to come home from work and have my own space and time to myself. But more recently, I feel like whenever I start to feel this way and the introvert in me comes out, God just shows me another glimpse of community and the benefits of living life with believers. He's pretty good at that- you know, showing me exactly what I need to see when I need to see it. So, I am now ready for roommates!

1 comment:

  1. Good job foooooooool! June is mad at me cuz I have yet to start running. I refuse to run without my Nike iPod tracker.

    ReplyDelete